Thursday, October 6, 2016

God's Constant Presence

Today's Upper Room post quoted Isaiah 43:5
Do not be afraid, for I am with you.

The chatty story that went with the quote is of a retired couple downsizing and moving to a new town, and having to find a new church, new friends, a new life. The daughter quoted the scripture and reminded her parents that God is already there waiting for them in their new home. What a reassuring message!

As I face new challenges, I need to keep reminding myself that God is already there, as well as with me at this moment. He is everywhere. He has not and will not abandon me. That is comforting.

Yet, I still struggle with this all the time. I was turned down for another job I thought I was perfect for, and that was perfect for me. I keep thinking about the different times over the past six years when this has happened to me. The librarian positions I did not get. The job at my daughter's school that went to someone else. The position as director of a local non-profit that went to a friend. The position at the church that went to someone else. 

I struggle with "why not me?" Well-meaning friends say when this happens that God has something much better in store for me. My head understands where they are coming from, but my heart still wants that elusive part-time job that will take me away from freelance work and towards steady income. Six years is long enough.

In addition to not worrying, I'll try to remember that God is paving the way for me. He is with me every step of the way, even when, as the Footprints in the Sand poem goes, I only see one set of footprints.

To God Be the Glory.
Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment