Thursday, October 6, 2016

Introduction

Hi all!

This is a fairly private site for fairly private feelings I am learning many of us have, but are afraid to share because society expects us to be perfect and always happy because after all we don't have it as bad as "they" do. Right? Maybe someday I'll make this more public, but until then congratulations on finding me.

As a stay-at-home mom I feel society has placed a certain image on me. I'm supposed to be happy shuttling kiddo to school and activities. I'm supposed to do all the cooking and cleaning with a smile on my face because after all I don't "work." I'm supposed to feel lucky because I don't work.

The reality is we are just as dissatisfied as our mothers were in the 1960s and 1970s. American society has not made it easier for us to return to work on our schedule. Those homes with both parents working full-time often also have a grandmother or au pair filling in to pick up the rest of life. Of else they have a strong network of friends and family. Maybe they manage it all and also pull out their hair wondering how they do it all. 

Back when our daughter was born we made the decision for me to stay home. It did not make financial sense for me to return to work only to give nearly half of my take home pay to a day care center just so we could all be driven insane. That decision was made in 2002. A few years later I went to graduate school and earned an MLIS. Fast forward to the economic crisis of 2008, and well best laid plans and all.

Now it is 2016. I've been part of the "gig economy" for a few years, writing stories for the local newspapers, substitute teaching, working for a local publisher, and taking on odd jobs as I struggle to figure out how to start my own memoir writing business and become my own boss. Because at my age (at any age) job hunting stinks!

I want this blog to be a place where I can share my thoughts on scripture readings as I continue to move along on my faith journey. I want this blog to be a place where I can openly and honestly share how I feel without worrying about hurting people's feelings, or worry about having to explain myself. This here is about me, not about them.

So if you found this and you know me, you might be in for learning about the Raw Jacquelyn -- the no-holds back Jacquelyn. If you can handle that, welcome. If you can't, please leave now.

No comments:

Post a Comment